Fishing is an activity that is thoroughly enjoyed in the right season. Northern pike fishing is often seen as an exciting adventure and the fish is abundantly found in countries like Britain, Canada, Finland, USA, etc. which makes them a popular game fish. The thing about pike that attracts anglers the most is their size – they can grow to 50+ inches and have a weight of around 40+ pounds. Therefore, proper pike fishing tackle is needed if you decide to face this beautiful predator. Here we will mention some of the best pike rods that will successfully land you a pike and remain in one piece.
Here’s a quick list of pike fishing rods we will be reviewing today (you can click any link to find out
- Triumph Casting Rods (by St Croix) – Our Pick!
- Legend Elite Fishing Spinning Rod (by St Croix)
- Speed Demon Pro Tournament Series (by KastKing)
- Tiger Elite Spinning Fishing Rod (by Ugly Stick)
- Defender Powered Casting Rod (by Favorite)
- Torrent One Piece Baitcasting Rod (by Piscifun)
- HLHB Salmon Steelhead Fishing Rod Series (by TICA) – Best rod for dead bait
- Buzz Ramsey Air Series Trolling Rod (by Berkley) – Best trolling rod
Buying Guide For Pike Fishing Poles
Here are some of the points that one needs to keep in their mind when they are going to buy their pike fishing rod. Northern pike fishing isn’t very different from other types of predator fishing, but people need to pay extra attention to the strength of the rod. So, let us learn a bit more about the points which help us to buy a good fishing rod for catching that trophy pike.
- Material: When you purchase your pike rod, make sure to get one that contains proper material of construction. The reason behind this is that you will need a lot of strength while fighting a pike. A bamboo fishing rod won’t be a good option I can tell you that straight away. Instead, go for options like carbon or graphite which provides decent strength to a rod.
- Length: Another critical point of buying the fishing rod is the ideal length, which determines the comfort and balance that anglers will have on the rod. The longer the rod, the greater the distance you will be able to cast. However, length adds more weight to the rod. Also, you may have more trouble with long rods if there are any obstacles around. So you really need to take into consideration the environment you will fish in most of the time.
- Power/action: There is a difference between power and action in fishing rods. For pike, fast action medium-heavy power rod is what most anglers aim for an all-around rod. But if you are looking to cast heavier baits and longer distances, then aim for a heavier one.
- Grip: since you will be holding your fishing rod for a considerably long time, it is always better to check for a comfortable grip. The style of grip tells the level of comfort. So, do find it out before placing an order.
- Type: usually, pike anglers need to decide between casting, spinning, and fly rods depending on the type of fishing they are planning. You may also want to check our pike fly rod reviews and pike spinning rod reviews pages.
Best Rod For Northern Pike Fishing Ever
St Croix Triumph Casting Rods
This fishing rod is perceived as the best one available for pike fishing from St Croix, a well-known company in the fishing department. It is available in different sizes and you can decide one according to your convenience. Anglers who have experience in sports fishing say that they find this rod comfortable to use for long periods of time. Also, the durability and strength
- Size options include 6 foot, 6 foot 6 inches and 7 foot
- The rods are found in the Medium/Fast and Medium-heavy/Fast categories.
- The material of the rod is SCII Graphite which provides it with the
- The actions and tunes have been finely tuned so that the user doesn’t have any problem.
- The handle is of premium grade cork.
- The guides and the black frame are of Hard aluminium-oxide.
- Quality all over
5 Top Fishing Rods For Northern Pike in 2019
1. St Croix Legend Elite Fishing Spinning Rod
This is another St. Croix fishing rod that we are going to mention here. The company gets known for their excellent quality and the sheer number of options that they have for the enthusiastic fishers. As catching a pike will definitely require you to have a certain amount of strength in the rod that this can provide. The company uses several recent technologies in this model of fishing rod to make it even more powerful. So, let us see some of the features that will make this fishing rod a sought after product in the market.
• The fishing rod is available in several sizes starting from 6 foot to 7.6 foot in the categories of Medium/Fast and Medium-Heavy/Fast
• This fishing rod uses Integrated Poly Curve (IPC) tooling technology
• SCV graphite along with FRS and carbon-matte scrim has been utilised to provide strength, durability and sensitivity
• The handle is of good quality cork
• The rod has Fuji TVS blank-touch reel seat along with a built-in hood on spinning rod
• A protective sack comes with the fishing rod
• The rod has titanium frames which keeps corrosion away
• 15-year transferable warranty is provided by the company
- High-quality materials
- Latest technologies
Speed Demon Pro Tournament Series
KastKing is another company that is well-known for making good quality fishing rods of various models. This particular model is preferred by many pike anglers due to the strength of the rod. There are 15 length and power options present in this particular model. So, the fisherman gets a lot of choices to choose a pike fishing rod which will fit them. The quality is such that it will never fail the user and they will come back to it over and over again. It is also a highly recommended fishing rod. Let’s see some of the features present in this fishing rod.
- The fishing rod has Elite Carbon Blanks & Nano Resin Technology which provides the needed strength
- It also has Fuji Guides and Reel Seats along with WINN Grips which increase the quality of fishing
- The rod is lightweight so that the user doesn’t feel any pressure while using it
- It is a Tournament Performance Rod which can be utilized while in fishing competitions
- The grip is of golf style to make it comfortable
- Tournament performance rod
- Good balance
3. Ugly Stick Tiger Elite Spinning Fishing Rod
If someone is looking for an affordable pike rod, then their best bet will be this Ugly Stik fishing rod. As the company produces a lot of affordable pieces of equipment it is often the choice of the beginners. It looks dainty but in reality it does work pretty well if your aim is a trophy pike. The main thing about this fishing rod is its versatility that many fishermen will like a lot. The rod will suit several situations and be the best friend when someone is out fishing. Along with that the lightweight quality of the rod makes people want to use it over and over again. So, let us have a look at some of the features present in this fishing rod.
- The rod comes in three different sizes, 6.6 foot, 6.9 foot,
- The fishing rod has a blank construction to which graphite adds an increased sensitivity
- Lightweight EVA grips in the fishing rod provide comfort on a long fishing session
- The guides present in the rod have added quality to them
- Conventional reel seats along with stainless steel cushioned hoods are present
- Difficult to cast lighter lures
4. Favorite Defender Powered Casting Rod
Just like the name of the company, the fishing rod is a favorite for many fishermen who engage in northern pike hunting on a regular basis. So, strength is a must in this rod! The colors of the rod make it an enjoyable thing to hold in your hand. The make of it is as simple as it should get and this makes the rod an all-purpose one and it works as your best friend when you are out fishing. The company receives a lot of praise for this modelColorfuland it often recommended by professional anglers. The youngsters tend to have a knack for the rod because of its enhanced design. Satisfaction is a guarantee after someone purchases this product. Let us see some of the features that make this fishing rod a good choice for many.
• Currently, the availability of the rod is in sizes from 7 foot to 7.6 foot
• The utilization of IM24T Carbon makes the rod tough and durable
• The weight of the rod is quite light
• The strong backbone present in this fishing rod helps to catch big fishes
• Colorful rod to make it appealing to the users
- Strong backbone
- Fresh design
- Fewer size options
5. Piscifun Torrent One Piece Baitcasting Rod
Do you want something that works great and comes for an affordable price? If yes, then this fishing rod from Piscifun should catch your attention. They have kept their prices extremely low, which appears commendable when they provide outstanding quality. Catching fishes become even more fun when using this fishing rod! Let us see some of the features that make this rod a unique and much sought after fishing rod in the market.
- High-Quality IM6 carbon makes up the rock which we know for its strength and durability
- O-seat technology gives you an excellent grip
- EVA split grips provide the much-needed comfort
- Rods have Technique Specific Actions and Length options starting from 6.8 foot to 7.6 foot
- Users find the guides at strategic places to ensure a smooth transition
- A Limited Lifetime Warranty comes with the purchase of this rod
- Several length and action options
- Strategic guides
- Limited lifestyle warranty
- Strong and durable
- Comfortable grips
- Several reports on a weak tip
- Rod guides are in doubt as some anglers got their lines “scraped”
Best Dead Bait Pike Rod
If you prefer to catch the Pikes via dead baiting like many other fishermen, then you should think about this fishing rod from Tica. The quality speaks for itself because of the strength and durability present in this item. Many pike anglers can confirm the benefits that this rod provided to them. You won’t need a second option when you go out with this fishing rod. It has all the quality that a fisher looks for when in search for best rods for big pike baits. It is a highly-recommended pike dead bait rod that you must have heard about. Now we should have a look at the features that make the rod stand apart from many other pieces.
- The rod has the options that go all the way from 7.9 foot to 14 foot
- Currently, the two possibilities are of casting and spinning
- For durability, the rod has the use of TC2 graphite material
- Technologies of graphite trigger and TICA graphite APS reel seat makes the difference
- The fishing rod uses Ring guards of FUJI Hardloy
- The comfortable handle is of cork
- The weight is on the lighter side
- Latest technology
- Numerous options
- Great quality
- Compact construction
Best Trolling Rod For Pike
Trolling is yet another popular way of catching pike. The Berkley Trolling Rod is the one that is quite renowned among the anglers who practice the technique. They find it remarkable to have something that holds up the weight and provides them a good success rate of pike fishing. When you pay for this fishing rod, you pay for quality and time invested by the people who made it for you. But before buying a specialized rod, it is always better to do research on the technique of fishing and the benefits that it has on one’s fishing. Let us have a look at some of the features present in this favorite trolling rod.
Complex Matrix Composite Construction style of the fishing rod speaks for itself and its quality which lasts for a long time
The fishing rod comes with SS304 Guides which have Titanium Nitride Coated Zirconia Inserts
Blank is exposed through the Reel Seat
Comes in different sizes starting from 7.9 foot to 10.6 foot with varying weights
- Construction quality
- Guaranteed Durability
- High-quality guides
- Super Strong
- Different options
- Quite Affordable
What Power Rod For Pike?
Fast action medium heavy power rod is your best bet when pike fishing. It will work great for either lure or dead bait fishing so you won’t need to worry about getting multiple (different power) rods.
How Many Yards Of Line Do I Want For Big Pike Rods?
Can You Use A Carp Rod For Pike Fishing?
For smaller baits your carp rod will do just fine when pike fishing, but if you are looking to cast bigger baits and longer distances then you really need to get a proper pike fishing rod – something with test curves around 3 lb.
Pike Fishing Rod Setup
Getting ready for pike fishing? In addition to a good rod, here’s what you’ll need:
- A matching reel (spinning, casting, fly fishing, etc.)
- A good line (20-30 lb is the recommended pound test)
- A leader (a must!)
- A lure (if you are fishing with artificial baits)
- Hooks, float ledger
We hope that with the help of all this information you will be able to get a good rod for your next pike fishing trip!